Monday, April 5, 2010

The call me the Easter Bunny

Well, last you heard from me I had nine follicles. A good start, right? Well, it turns out my doctor knew what he was doing when he dropped my dosage because when I went in on Friday for my u/s I had 39 follicles. 21 on my right and 19 on my left. No wonder I was getting so uncomfortable!

They took me off all stimming meds and had me coast both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, things were looking a little scary and I spend much of the day crying. I thought for sure we were going to have to cancel the cycle. Last Monday my E2 was at 273 and by Saturday it was 3800! I was pretty much an emotional mess. I had a ton of follicles still but about 10 mature ones. The nurse sent me home to coast with orders to rest, drink a TON of water and eat protein. I did the best I could, all the while hoping and praying that we wouldn't have to cancel.

On Sunday, I went back for another u/s and blood draw and everything looked much better. I had 18 mature follicles, my lining was just over 17 and my E2 was around 3300. Whew!! I triggered last night at 7:30pm and today is my first day of no injections - yay! Retrieval is scheduled for 7:30am on Tuesday and I cannot wait. This last week has been a lot more emotionally and physically exhausting than I ever anticipated it to be.

I cannot believe how sore I am! It's no wonder since I have about 40 follicles and my ovaries are rubbing against each other - they've been calling them the kissing ovaries. I can barely button my pants, I am so bloated and even when they are buttoned they just hurt. My back is aching and I'm just so tired!

DH, who has been so wonderful in the months leading up to this, has sort of flaked out on me for some reason. I don't know what his issues are but he has not been very supportive or kind over the last few days. It really hurts a lot because I really, really needed him to be there for me and he just wasn't. I am so lucky that I have the best friend in the world or I don't know what I would have done on Saturday. I probably would have been rocking in a corner somewhere. She listening to me (which was the best thing she could have done for me) crying and venting all afternoon. Then, she brought me flowers, water, almonds, chicken and cheese - all good sources of protein! It just makes me feel really crappy that DH is supposed to be my true best friend and he just wasn't there. I shouldn't be trying so hard to make a baby for us - and doing it alone. It is very unfair. He made the decision to do IVF right along with me and nobody said it was going to be fun or easy. I'm the one putting my body through chaos - the least he could do would be to ask me if there is anything he could do to help. Ugh. Just what I need on top of everything else.

Well, wish me luck...by this time tomorrow, retrieval will be complete and I really, truly think we have a great shot at success.

5 comments:

Serenity said...

GOOD LUCK TODAY!

For IVF #1, I overstimmed and ended up with a moderate case of OHSS (and a burst follicle). My E2 was MUCH higher than yours - I was at 4800 or so.

Anyway, take the warnings about OHSS seriously. It's going to be painful AFTER the retrieval, likely for a couple of days. Make sure you take it easy. Took me probably a week to feel better and two full weeks to be normal (I had a chemical pregnancy, not related to the OHSS, had a septum which inhibited implantation).

Fingers crossed. Make sure you rest up.

xxx

Anonymous said...

I just have goosebumps reading about how all the planning and all you've been through is now coming to the retrieval. I am praying very hard that you get many nice eggs - and many nice embies out of those eggs. I cannot imagine the roller coaster you have been on this past month or so (not to mention everything leading up to it). No matter what happens, I hope you realize what a strong woman you really are. You're just amazing!

-Leighann

Tam said...

Angie, I have been quiet but following along this whole time. I am beyond hopeful and excited for you. Keep up the updates. We are here for you. And don't worry, I'm sure your husband is dealing with this in the best way he knows how. I think he'll come through in the end.

Thinking of you a ton...

JMB said...

It's tough to be that full...I only had around 30, and I wanted nothing to do with clothes that didn't have elastic.

I hope that the retreival went well-you've got great numbers! Husbands flake because they honestly, truly DO NOT GET IT. We are in a somewhat altered state due to the high E2 levels, we don't feel good, and you're wondering what the hell you were thinking-the thought of "I want to get pregnant why?" reverberates in your head. Doens't excuse him-but sometimes the perspective of post retreival/trigger can make a big difference.

Let us know how the embies are doing-we're all rooting for you!

LisserB said...

*hugs*

I really truly hope this is it for you guys!

I wonder if your DH is so overwhelmed with what to do to help you, that he is shutting off instead? It's got to be so hard going through all of this to get a baby you both want, but feeling like you are doing it alone. I hope he comes around for you.

Best wishes, fingers crossed, and all the luck in the world.

*hugs*